In this article I will explain the steps for populating UI-Grid in angularjs from database using WebAPI. UI-grid is a powerfull tool which provides a table like representation. Apart from table like structure Ui-Grid also provides functionality like filtering, sorting, exporting etc. You can find more details about UI-Grid from here
Ui-Grid is dependant on AngularJS.Hence ensure that you have added reference of Angular js on page.
To load the data from database, we are using EntityFramework and its related method. In this example I have used the DatabaseFirstApporach. DatabaseFirstApporach lets the EnityData Model to generate classes, dbcontext etc from the database automatically. All other functionalities like database and model sync exists as is.
Follow the below procedures to generate Model for Customer database in Northwind database
- Right click on the Model folder
- Select Add option
- And then select the New Item option
- Choose Data from Installed Templates group
- Select the ADO.NET Entity Data Model option and Provide a name for it
- In the Entity Data Model Wizard, Select EF Designer from database and click on Next
- Choose the Connection string options
- If you already have connection string configured then you can select that from the available list.
- If you don’t have the connection string configured then use the New Connection option and create the connection
- Expand the Table option and then select the tables which you want
- Click on Finish
You will have necessary class files generated in your solution now
You can get more details about how to use DatabaseFirst approach from this link.
In this example we are using WebAPI to load the data. The next procedure is to write code to fetch records from database using WebAPI. For this demo I have used a basic select operation. You can modify this as per your need.
Another point to note here is UI-grid read data which is in Json format, Hence we need to ensure that the data which we return from controller is of Json format. We will use the JsonResult method for this.
On View we will have the codes for UI-Grid and its related files. If you look at the design of UI-Grid it’s a div which will be styled to look like a table at runtime.
We need to add div with an attribute as ui-grid=”gridOptions”. We add all the details from angular js code to gridOptions and UI-Grid at runtime uses this div to populate the grid.
I have changed the Action Name from “Get” to “GetCustomer” to be more specific with what the method do. In order for api to identify the proper method add the below route setting to web api route config
Angular JS Script
Below are the code to fetch the data from database and populate it to UI-Grid. I have used a factory to call the Get Customer method and used that in the main method.